OUR HISTORY

HUMBLE BEGINNINGS

In October 1935, E.M. “Gene” Tharp started the E.M. Tharp Company with just one used 1926 truck. He enjoyed the commercial hauling business, which he did more than 26 years – watching it grow from one used truck to a fleet of more than 20 tractors and more than 100 pieces of equipment. In 1938, Gene quickly developed the original E.M. Tharp Trucking firm from a single used truck into a fleet of tractors and specialty equipment – a commercial hauling business that thrived for over 25 years.

AHEAD OF THE COMPETITION

The Tharp family, anticipating the coming “Supercenter” trend, began building a comprehensive One-Stop Truck Center near Porterville in 1968. The truck sales headquarters soon were complemented by a parts department, repair shop, body shop, fuel shop and a welding and tire shop. Next, they added Viking Trailer Corporation, a family-owned trailer manufacturer, leasing and finance companies, forklift and golf cart outlets, and American Truck Parts Company, a premier salvage operation.

A FUTURE OF EXPANSION

Morris Tharp became President of the company when Gene retired in 1981. Morris began an aggressive expansion phase by purchasing dealerships in Fresno and Bakersfield with Golden State Peterbilt, becoming one of the first dual dealerships in the nation. More recently the company acquired the Fresno-area Kroeger Equipment & Supply.